Drone Scanning Services
In today’s world, drones have progressed from photo and video tools to sophisticated assets with crop scanning capabilities and other commercial services. Modern drones are taking to the skies to assist with everything from spotting pot holes to home deliveries. Recently, however, drones have become exceedingly valuable in the agricultural industry.
How Drones Help Growers
Farming has always been an unpredictable endeavor. Weather patterns that vary from year to year making it difficult to predict how much irrigation, fertilization, and other crop management techniques will be needed in any given season. Drones have entered the picture to help farmers with everything from planting to crop care and field monitoring. With the help of these sophisticated machines, farmers are able to increase their awareness of what is happening to their field and crops, and strategize their plans for the season accordingly.
Benefits of Drone Scanning
There are many benefits of using a drone to scan your field.
- Gives more reliable data than randomized representative samples.
- Allows growers to have detailed knowledge about their field within 24 hour period.
- Collects accurate data even in cloud coverage, unlike satellite imaging.
- Decreases time spent scouting, and more time ground truthing areas of interest.
- Monitors effectiveness of treatments and fertilizer inputs.
- Reduces amounts of inputs by using prescription maps.
With drone tech on your side, you will have the tools you need to understand the state of your crops. Using that knowledge, you can implement changes in your field treatment that may increase your overall yields.
Field & Crop Scanning
One of the most valuable services drones provide for farmers is field and crop scanning. Using different sensors and techniques, drone pilots can fly their aircraft above a field and collect key data that the farmer can use to lower their bottom line, save time, and provide data insights that can lead to higher yields.
And the best part is, all the information is available within 24 hours.
Precision Agricultural Technology for Drone Scanning
In recent years the development of precision agriculture has exploded, allowing remote sensing to provide growers with extreme targeting and information-gathering tools that have revolutionized crop management. One top sensor for agricultural drone scanning is the RedEdge Sensor. This one sensor captures four layers of imaging: the Chlorophyll Map, NDVI Layer, Digital Surface Model, and RGB Image. Each of these layers serve a function in creating a wholistic picture of what’s happening in the field.
- The Chlrorophyll layer provides general information about plant health in the field. Viewing this image, you’ll be able to see what sections of the field have healthy plants and where in the field some plants are suffering or not growing at all.
- The NDVI layer uses infrared technology to reveal where there is bare soil vs. where grass, trees, and other plants are growing. This is a good surface level scan of your field, but it doesn’t identify specific information about your crops. In one case study provided by micasense, the company explained that the NDVI layer can identify sections of healthy plants, but cannot distinguish whether those plants are crops or weeds.
- The Digital Surface Model layer analyzes surface properties and reveals how water flows throughout the field.
The RedEdge Sensor's job is to capture what's happening in a field, but it's the precision ag software Pix4Dfields that processes the imaging. Pix4Dfields includes in-demand indices like NDVI, NDRE, VARI, TGI, SIPI2, LCI, BNDVI, GNDVI. With every index comes unique, technical information that growers use to interpret the status of their crops and create plans for how to care for their field during the rest of a season.
In addition to those layers, we're also able to generate other indices thanks to precision agriculture technology. Together, these layers give a complete picture of what’s happening in your field, providing key insights that bright about tactical outcomes.
J&L's Complete Drone Sensor Squad
Start Drone Scanning Today
The advantageous of precision agriculture are numerous and clear. Fortunately, you can have crop scanning performed on your field and get results in hand quickly. Contact us to get a quote for drone scanning services.