Designs and administers human resources policies and procedures under the direction of The Chief Financial Officer. The Human Resources manager will collect and analyze human resources data related to compensation, benefits, training, recruitment, retention etc. to determine improvements and report to senior leadership. Manages day-to-day employee human resources needed to support company culture and employee satisfaction.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Positive, Can-Do Attitude.
- Self-starter – Lots of Initiative.
- Results orientation (avoids busywork).
- Assertive and self-confident.
- Patient and calm demeanor.
- Excellent team player.
- High levels of honesty and integrity.
- Creative/innovative/forward thinking.
- Likes going “Outside” the Box.
- Great communication skills.
- Willingness to solve problems at the lowest level. (Solution Orientation)
- Good business acumen.
- Analytical and efficient approach to work.
- Prefers to be out from behind the desk.
- Willingness to work additional hours as required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicates corporate, management, and individual goals by aligning employee output to corporate priorities.
- Encourages teamwork by promoting group independence and self-management. Provides Leadership on unique issues as needed.
- Implements the scheduled work by assigning tasks to individuals based on project complexity and employee skills.
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Implements new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
- Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings; including creating and updating job descriptions.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; review existing and draft new policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Assist in internal audits, improvement projects, and process improvement activities.
- KPI’s assigned to the Human Resources Manager are the metrics to measure accountability for the department. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for the tracking, and regular reporting of the KPI’s. KPI performance is reported whether it is positive or negative. Positive KPI performance requires only additional monitoring. Negative KPI performance requires a root cause analysis and action plan to return the KPI to positive performance.
- Develop a SWOT analysis of the Human Resources Department and to use this analysis in participation with the annual strategic review and corporate planning in October of each year.
- Maintain a flow of communication up and down the company structure to promote a healthy team environment. Honest, open communication must be promoted at every opportunity. They are expected to properly represent the Leadership and vision to the employees. Additionally, they are expected to represent the needs and issues of the employees to the Leadership.
- Supports internal and cross-departmental activities in accordance the respective work flow activities and processes.
- Assist with constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Responsible for employee tracking – vacation time, personal time, attendance occurrences – to aid in payroll activities.
- Stay up to date with new federal and state laws regarding Human Resources Activities.
- Know and understand the J & L Mission Statement (Quality Policy) as required by the J & L Quality System.
- Conform to the J & L Quality Manual and the J & L Employee Handbook as documented.
- Read and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Other tasks as required by the company in support of its overall mission and goals.
- Experience with ERP software (e.g. E2, JobPack).
- Experience with QT9 – Quality Management Software
- 3-4 years of human resource management experience preferred.